km south of Mysore on the Mysore-Ooty road. Nanjangud is
a famous religious centre. The presiding deity of the temple
here is Sri Nanjundeswara or Srikanteswara.
The three day car festival of Sri Nanjundeswara Swamy is held at the end of
March every year. There is a Residency Bungalow.
km from Mysore or 27 km from Somanathapura is the island
town Sivasamudram. The twin water falls (350 feet), Gaganachukki
and Bharachukki are the most alluring
spots near the island. It was here that the Karnataka State first produced
electric power in 1902. There are temples dedicated to
Ranganatha, Someswara, Veerabhadra
There is regular bus service from Mysore. For reservation of accommodation at
the Inspection Bungalow, contact the Executive Engineer, Electrical Division,
Shimshapur (via Maddur).
32 km east of Mysore by road, is Somanathapura, a village
on the left bank of the river Cauvery. Sri Channakeshava
temple built here in 1268 A.D. with exquisite
carvings, is a good example of the Hoysala style of architecture.
Visiting hours: 9.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m. Admission by tickets. For reservation
of the Rest House here, contact the Manager, Tourist Canteen-cum-Rest House,
Department of Tourism, Somanathapura (T.Narasipur Taluk).
Sri Venugopa)aswamy temple built here by the Hoysla King Narasimha in 1269 A.D.
attracts a large number of pilgrims.
situated 98 km from Mysore is a famous Jam pilgrim centre.
The colossal monolithic statue of Gomateswara, standing
erect 57 feet high, attracts
tourists from far and near.
about 16 km from Mysore City by road or rail, this island
town is embraced by two branches of the Cauvery river.
Sri Ranganathaswamy temple her8 is one
of the oldest (894 A.D.) Dravidian temple in the State. The deity is
a magnificent figure, reclining on a seven headed serpent.
Visiting hours: 8 a.m. to 1.00 p.m.
and 4.00 p.m. to 8.00 p.m.
The large and imposing Jumma Masjid with tall minarets, the Gumbaz or the mausoleum
of Tippu, the Daria Doulat Bagh which houses a Museum where some of the belongings
of Tippu Sultan are exhibited are places of interest in Srirangapatna. Visiting
hours of Daria Doulat Bagh is from 9.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m. (Friday Holiday).
There is regular bus service from Mysore. A Traveller's Bungalow is available.
For reservation, contact the Assistant Engineer, P.W.D., Srirangapatna. River
side cottages are also available. For reservation contact, Director of Tourism,
Old Exhibition Building, Irwin Road, Mysore-1, Ph. 2442096. 3 km from Srirangapatna
Bus Stop. is the Cauvery Sangama where the two branches of the river rejoin.
About 3 km from Srirangapatna is the temple dedicated to Sri Nimishamba on the
bank of Cauvery.
About 5 km from Srirangapatna is the Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary -57 hectares
in extent. The Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary, a small island on the river Cauvery,
about 5 km from Srirangapatna or 19 km from Mysore, is of great interest to all
bird lovers. It is a nesting and breeding centre for birds.
A boat ride around the islet provides a close view of different species like
the herons, egrets, white Ibis, little cormorants, dantes, open billed stork,
etc. Medium sized trees and bushes here provide nesting facilities and water
around gives protection to the birds. The season to visit the sanctuary is from
June to October. The hatching time is generally in the middle of June. Boating
facility is available. Taxies are available to this place from Srirangapatna.
is an ancient town, situated on the left bank of the river
Cauvery, 45 km south east of Mysore or 24 km from Sivasamudram.
Here are Sri Kirtinarayana,
Sri Kartikeya, Sri Vaideeswara, Sri Pataleswara and Sri Maraleswara
temples. Many monuments lie burried in the sand. P.W.D.
Inspection bungalow is available.
is at the sangam (confluence) of the Cauvery and Kapila
rivers. Two bridges span the rivers here. There is an ancient
temple dedicated to Gunjam Lakshminarasimha.
Nearby is an old peepal tree called Brahmaswatha.